My Turn to Feel Poorly

Hi everyone, hope everything is going well in your lives!

I have been hit with a flare-up again. It seems that my activates on Saturday did me in. It is the only thing that I think of. Maybe I inhaled just enough smoke while outdoors or maybe it was over-doing-it on the physical side. I did wear a mask in hopes that it would prevent a flare-up, but it looks like I had one anyway.

I first started feeling signs of a coming flare Sunday afternoon. I had the normal fatigue, cough, and a few bouts of shortness of breath (SOB). Sometimes it is short lived and other times it is a sign of things to come. By Monday, I was hit hard. I even had my second experience with air trapping (If not, it sure fit the symptoms anyway). That scared the bajibers out of me, I couldn’t talk and I found it hard to relax. Thankfully, I kept myself fairly calm and started to cram Ventolin puffs down my lungs. I couldn’t hold my breath intentionally but after four hits it finally went away. Yeah, one would think that was call the doctor time for me, but I am a stubborn type of individual and didn’t, stupid mistake. Anyway, to keep that from happening again I kept myself at my desk and stayed that way as much as possible. After work I was starting to feel a little better but I did take it easy.

Tuesday, I woke up feeling pretty good. Everything seemed fine again until I made it to work and SOB hit me pretty hard whenever stood up and walked around. There is stairs in my office; IT personnel are cellar dwellers here. Every time I climbed the stairs to get to the first floor I would labor to breathe and get lightheaded, not good.

Grrrr…I really did not want to see the doctor. I decided to post an update on Facebook about my hesitation on going to the doctor, but was shot down by my wonderful friends who told me to get off my rear and be seen. So, I called my doctor, on vacation, and talked to the nurse instead. She told me to head over to my primary doctor or urgent care. I was not going to get into the PD this late in the day, so I opted for urgent care.

I made it to urgent care breathing like crazy. The nurse asking questions was listening to my lungs and had to ask me to slow down. I was really going at it. She decided that I needed a neb because of my out of control breathing. Heck, I had a puff of Ventolin while in the waiting room and I am afraid I needed more. Something was up with the neb, at first I thought it was just a slow one, but I am not sure what they gave me. It was not as misty as any Albuterol treatment I have ever had. The nurse talked about two kinds of nebs they could give me, something about a double (Albuterol mixed with something that starts with an “X”) and just strait Albuterol. I am wondering if they ended up giving the double mixture. What ever it was, it sure made a difference.

Doctor came in and listened to my lungs, asked me some questions and prescribed me five days of prednisone (plus, some Albuterol nebs, because mine are out of date now). Yikes, a five day burst with no taper.

Just to add some spice to this post. Here is the family nebulizer, our trusty little penguin.

Today, I woke up feeling poorly but seem to be doing fairly well now as long is I don’t do much. I am in good spirits. A little while ago I came too grips with my illness so this is just part of it.

Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-… That’s all, folks…

Be Well!!!


7 responses to “My Turn to Feel Poorly

  1. You have a penguin nebulizer? That’s so cute!!

    Hope the pred kicks in fast and you’re better soon.

  2. I’ve seen all sorts of animal ones. I just had a regular plain ol’ neb as a kid. No fun.

    • Two years a go my oldest boy was having breathing troubles and the pediatrician prescribed neb treatments for him. I have to admit, I had never heard of a neb before then. My wife works for one of the hospitals in town, so she was able to pick this one up pretty inexpensively. My youngest son has been having a rough go at in the lung department, so the neb is always out ready to go. The cool thing is, he is so good about taking a neb. Not like his brother who fought the whole time.

  3. The X was probably Xopenex? I know they use that in the US of A.
    I neb doubles, but it’s a Ventolin plus an Atrovent neb. I think you guys call it Duoneb or Combivent!
    I’m sure glad you’re a bit more comfortable though and you sure did the right thing. Imagine getting real sick and calling in the Drs on the Holiday Weekend.
    The penguin is hilarious though, would kind of make nebbing fun, alas, I think I’d tire the poor little guy out!
    Big Hugs-get better and stay well! x

    • Yes, that is the one. Thanks Sus! I am thinking about buying a little smaller one for my trip to FL in January. I am probably going to need it after I finish the marathon. Never know, I might need it before too. Speaking of marathon, this was not a timely flare at all, my training is becoming literally wreaked by it. I try to not worry about it but it is frustrating. I am sure envious of those asthmatics that are speedy. For me, I get hit with too many setbacks to actually train properly. So, I end up finishing a marathon in survival mode.

  4. I feel the same way about training…

    Anyways, I hope the pred and nebs kick ass and that you feel better soon! ❤ And, the penguin neb bag totally cracked me up!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s